CUPE Local 389 was certified under the Labour Code of British Columbia in 1940 as the North Vancouver Civic Employees. The Local played a prominent role in the National Union of Public Employees, until the creation of CUPE in 1963. Harry Green, an activist for a very long time, was instrumental in the early days of the development of CUPE. Local 389 has always taken progressive positions on union and political issues of the day.
CUPE Local 389 is a labour union representing approximately 2,400 members in the North Vancouver region. It holds Collective Agreements for employees working for:
- City of North Vancouver
- North Vancouver City Library
- District of North Vancouver
- North Vancouver District Public Library
- Northlands Golf Course
- School District No. 44
- North Vancouver Recreation and Culture Commission
- North Shore Neighbourhood House
- The Village of Lions Bay
- North Vancouver Museum & Archives Commission
There are 19 people on the executive elected to represent each work-site. Click here to find a current listing of their contact information and how to get in touch with your Union representative today.